Published on July 9, 2019 by Johanna Loock · No Comments
July 09: Secure Fisheries (a One Earth Future program) has issued a report on Maritime Security in the Indian Ocean: Perceived Threats, Impacts, and Solutions.
OVERVIEW: This brief is based on surveys of more than 100 representatives from maritime agencies in ten Indian Ocean countries. It highlights perspectives about the most significant maritime security threats, the impacts of illegal, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing on human security and conflict, and the most effective approaches and needed resources for combating IUU fishing in each country.
Recommendations from the report are as follows:
- Expand Information Sharing
- Support Regional Coordination Efforts
- Publish Licensed Vessel Lists
- Establish Joint Regional Patrols
- Improve Access to Technology
- Train Law Enforcement Agencies in Inspecting and Prosecuting Illegal Fishing Cases