Latest news bulletin | May 25th – Midday
Catch up with the most important stories from around Europe and beyond – latest news, breaking news, World, Business, Entertainment, Politics, Culture, Travel.
More results...
Catch up with the most important stories from around Europe and beyond – latest news, breaking news, World, Business, Entertainment, Politics, Culture, Travel.
Inside Ukraine’s last maternity ward in a region surrounded by Russian forces NPR‘We can make good things happen’: Three years into the war, Ukrainians find community and resilience in Ottawa The Charlatan, Carleton’s independent …
NPR visits a hospital in eastern Ukraine’s Donetsk region, in a town where many residents have fled but some young couples are holding on and hoping to raise their children one day in peace.
The recent White House missive about South African white farmers carries an ominous echo from American history. We’ve seen this white nationalist playbook before—and we know exactly where it leads. Wilson’s “America First”: KKK …
Vietnamese police have detained a man who broke into a history exhibit and damaged an antique throne considered to be one of the nation’s most precious artefacts, conservation officials said on Sunday. Police detained him to conduct a psychiatric asses…
VIRGINIA Giuffre’s family has held a secret funeral to bid a final farewell to the Prince Andrew accuser.
The mum-of-three, who was sex trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein as a teenager, was found dead at her home in Western Australia in April.

Virginia Giuffre, with a photo of herself as a teen, when she says she was abused by Jeffrey Epstein[/caption]

Virginia Giuffre, an alleged victim of Jeffrey Epstein, exits from federal court in New York[/caption]

Prince Andrew, Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell[/caption]

She is believed to have taken her own life on her farm in Neergabby, some 50 miles north of Perth.
Giuffre was reportedly cremated at Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park in Padbury, reporters West Australia.
Cops have now confirmed the circumstances of her death were not deemed suspicious.
Detectives are in the process of preparing a report to give to the coroner.
Giuffre was the most prominent victim of the notorious Epstein.
She alleged she was trafficked to Prince Andrew by Epstein and his madam, British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell.
The brave woman, who was estranged from her husband Robert, had also accused the royal of sexual abuse on three occasions, including when she was just 17.
Prince Andrew has denied the allegations.
Giuffre’s heartbroken family described her as a “fierce warrior” following her death.
They said she had been a “lifelong victim of sexual abuse and sex trafficking”.
In a touching tribute, the 41-year-old’s family said: “Giuffre lost her life to suicide, after being a lifelong victim of sexual abuse and sex trafficking.
“Virginia was a fierce warrior in the fight against sexual abuse and sex trafficking. She was the light that lifted so many survivors.
“Despite all the adversity she faced in her life, she shone so bright. She will be missed beyond measure.”
Giuffre’s family have now launched a fundraiser on GoFundMe to build a public memorial for Giuffre.
They say the brave soul deserves to have a “permanent mark in this world.”
They said: “It is imperative that we find a way to leave her mark as a legacy.
“Virginia, through her fight and testimony, was able to amass settlements, but unfortunately, through this tragedy, as many of you may know, funds and estates can take years to settle.
“While her estate is being settled in Australia, her family in America is dedicated to memorialising and celebrating her spirit.

Virginia claimed she engaged in sexual relations with Andrew when she was just 17[/caption]

Virginia Giuffre and her husband Robert have been married for 22 years[/caption]

A shocking post by Virginia claimed she had just days to live[/caption]
VIRGINIA Roberts – later Virginia Giuffre, 41, was an American-Australian campaigner and a prominent victim of the sex trafficking ring of Jeffrey Epstein.
She made claims against Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, as well as Brit socialite Ghislaine Maxwell – Jeffrey Epstein’s ex-lover.
Giuffre alleged in court documents that she was procured by Maxwell, 63, the daughter of disgraced tycoon Robert Maxwell, as a teenage “sex slave” for Epstein.
She released a manuscript just hours before Epstein’s death, which added to more than 2,000 documents of a lawsuit pending against the former financier and his pals.
The legal documents were released in a defamation case involving Giuffre, who has claimed in court documents that Prince Andrew slept with her three times.
In 2019, Virginia Roberts claimed that she had sex with Prince Andrew in a toilet when she was 17, after a night where he had allegedly been plying her with vodka in a posh London club.
On February 15, 2022, it was announced that Prince Andrew settled the lawsuit – sparing him a humiliating court battle.
“It is our intention with this fund that we create a public memorial not just for family but for survivors and supporters from all over to visit and share space with Virginia.
“She deserves to have a permanent mark in this world that demonstrates her lasting impact.”
The heartfelt statement thanked wellwishers for the “outpouring of love and support” in the wake of Ms Giuffre’s death.
They also pledged to continue Ms Giuffre’s fight for a change in the law to protect victims of sexual abuse and prevent predators from escaping justice.
The family vowed to take on her mission “with all our heart and soul”.
The tragic tributes come after Giuffre’s sudden death in April, which opened a Pandora’s Box of unanswered questions.
On February 15, 2022, it was announced that Prince Andrew had settled a lawsuit, sparing him a humiliating court battle.
He was later stripped of his royal roles and banished from public duty in disgrace.
Epstein was later found dead in his prison cell in August 2019 while Maxwell is serving time behind bars in the US for her role.
Prince Andrew’s multi-million pound settlement with his sex abuse accuser has been frozen in the wake of her tragic suicide.
The outcast Royal, 65, paid Virginia Giuffre a reputed £12million after agreeing an out-of-court deal in 2022.
The payout has now been blocked amid fears of a battle for her estate involving her estranged husband and US-based family.
Giuffre’s courage in speaking out inspired countless victims of abuse to speak out against their tormentors.
But many aspects of Virginia’s life remain clouded in mystery – from the truth about her alleged interactions with Andrew, to what actually caused her injuries, and the circumstances around her death.
EVERY 90 minutes in the UK a life is lost to suicide
It doesn’t discriminate, touching the lives of people in every corner of society – from the homeless and unemployed to builders and doctors, reality stars and footballers.
It’s the biggest killer of people under the age of 35, more deadly than cancer and car crashes.
And men are three times more likely to take their own life than women.
Yet it’s rarely spoken of, a taboo that threatens to continue its deadly rampage unless we all stop and take notice, now.
That is why The Sun launched the You’re Not Alone campaign.
The aim is that by sharing practical advice, raising awareness and breaking down the barriers people face when talking about their mental health, we can all do our bit to help save lives.
Let’s all vow to ask for help when we need it, and listen out for others… You’re Not Alone.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:
What is the current situation with nation-state cyber attacks in the middle of 2025? Here’s a look at some of the biggest cyber threats from Russia, China, Iran and North Korea.
THE parents of a British-Israeli soldier who sacrificed his life in the October 7 atrocity found a heartbreaking final message in his unreleased music.
Brave Aner Shapira, 22, heroically threw back seven live grenades hurled into a bomb shelter by callous Hamas fighters in a bid to save his friends.

Aner Shapira, right, with dad Moshe[/caption]

Brave Aner positioned himself in the doorway of the shelter to throw grenades out[/caption]

Shocking footage showed Hamas terrorists repeatedly hurling grenades into the shelter[/caption]

Aner, front left, with his siblings and parents[/caption]
Heart-stopping footage showed the off-duty soldier, dressed in a t-shirt and sandals, lobbing grenades out of the shelter he and 26 terrified others were hiding in.
Tragically, the eighth device exploded and killed the fearless off-duty soldier.
His resilient parents, dad Moshe and mum Shira, said they were not surprised by his courageous act.
They first heard about their son’s heroics from two people who survived the barbaric October 7 attack thanks to Aner.
Proud dad Moshe said: “We got a phone call from a girl, a survivor, and said said ‘I want to tell you, due to Aner, I’m alive. Your son is a hero’.
“When the videos of the grenades came out and went viral, people told us it’s amazing what he did.
“But nobody [his friends, family, colleagues] was surprised.
“Since he was a small child, it was obvious that was his spirit.”
Shira added: “He always took a stand. When he saw something was not right, he would come and feel like it was his own business to make it better.
“He acted like that, and he also wrote about it.”
Keen pianist Aner, who grew up in the quiet south Jerusalem neighbourhood of Talpiot, fell in love with music at an early age.
Aner, the eldest of seven children, later explored rap and hip-hop, often singing about social justice and unity.
After his death, his parents found a catalogue of music that was published as an album – Looking for Love – to mark what would have been his 24th birthday.
In one song, they found a poignant final message from the IDF Staff Sergeant.
Moshe said: “Whenever people ask us about Aner, they want us to tell them about the last half an hour of his life, the battle, the shelter, what happened with the grenades.
“But we insist on looking at his whole life.”
Shira added: “He found the best way for him to combine his love for music and his love of his principals, his values, his ideas…was composing, singing and recording his music.
“We have more than 60 songs that he left expressing his values and his way of life, and he wanted to publish his album, but he didn’t have the chance.

An album of Aner’s music has been released to mark what would have been his 24th birthday[/caption]

Harrowing scenes showed hundreds fleeing the Nova music festival[/caption]
by Katie Davis, Chief Foreign Reporter (Digital), in Paris
ISRAEL’S new offensive in Gaza hinders bringing the remaining hostages home and puts them in “immediate danger”, a former diplomat has warned.
Ex-Israeli ambassador Daniel Shek questioned the point of the latest ground operation against Hamas as he insisted the military is now “going around in circles”.
Earlier this year, there was a glimmer of hope as both the terror group and Israel laid down their arms and 33 hostages – 25 alive – were released.
But Shek said the three-phase plan failed to reach its second phase as Israeli President Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition partners vowed they would leave if it did – collapsing the government.
Now Israel risks sanctions from the UK and France after launching a renewed ground offensive just after Donald Trump left the region without fixing a ceasefire deal.
Speaking exclusively to The Sun in Paris, Shek warned the fresh operation – dubbed Gideon’s Chariots – has a “two-fold danger” for those still captive.
His call for the Israeli government to prioritise returning the hostages through diplomatic means before crushing Hamas was echoed by Shoshan Haran, who was kidnapped by terrorists.
“So we released it for his birthday.
“In one of his songs, he’s saying ‘if something happens to me, if I’m dead, publish my album’.”
Talented Aner was enjoying the Nova music festival in southern Israel with a close group of friends when it was stormed by gun-toting Hamas terrorists.
As rocket fire rang out, Aner – the grandson of the late Israeli lawmaker Haim Moshe Shapira – and his pals rushed to a roadside bomb shelter next to kibbutz Re’im.
Aner bravely positioned himself in the doorway to protect the other 26 hiding inside as brutal fighters bombarded the shelter with grenades.
He throw them out one by one before the eighth killed him.
Of those inside, 16 were murdered and four others were kidnapped by merciless Hamas militants.
The four hostages taken were Aner’s best friend Hersh Goldberg-Polin who lost his arm in the attack before being murdered in Gaza.
Eliya Cohen and Or Levy have been released, while another victim, Eynav, was killed.
ON October 7 2023, militants of Hamas and other Palestinian nationalist groups launched co-ordinated armed attacks in the Gaza Envelope of southern Israel.
The perpetrators had managed to bypass Israeli defences to para-glide across the border, in what became the first invasion of the territory since the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
The horror coincided with the Jewish celebration of Simchat Torah, and initiated the ongoing Israel-Hamas War.
A barrage of around 4,300 rockets were launched on Israel from the Gaza Strip in the early hours of October 7 before vehicles and powered paragliders crossed the border.
The Hamas fighters attacked military bases and massacred civilians in 21 communities, including Be’eri, Kfar Aza, Nir Oz, Netiv Haasara, and Alumim.
The first civilian attack started at 6.29am at the Nova Music Festival site at Re’im, just three miles from Gaza.
More than 360 revellers were cut down as they desperately tried to flee.
Across October 7, an estimated 1,139 people were massacred and another 250 civilians and soldiers were taken hostage into Gaza.
Rescuers in Gaza said eight people were killed and several more wounded in Israeli air strikes across the Palestinian territory on Sunday, taking the war’s overall death toll to 53,901, according to the Gaza health ministry.
A roundup of some of last week’s events.